MiteTalk Discussion Forum  

Go Back   MiteTalk Discussion Forum > Main Category > Main Forum

Old March 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Major Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Joelj
Default Wind Driven Generators

My Mite (N4124) had a post mounted wind driven generator installed on the belly back in the 60's and therefore is wired with an electrical system, wing tip strobes, position lights, cockpit lights, etc. My Dad pulled that big, bulky generator off in the 70's and resorted to using a solar panel that he mounted behind your head next to the gas gauge tube to keep the battery trickle charged. Needless to say, the battery is insufficient to allow much use of the electrical system on extended flights and right now I seeking newer, lighter weight options that might allow me to feed 5-7 amps of current into the system while in flight to run a radio, GPS, maybe a transponder in the future, and the internal & external lights and still keep the battery up.
Has anyone found a small wind driven generator/alternator that can be belly mounted and approved for the Mite? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Joel
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Major Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Joelj
Default Still looking for an electrical source solution

Does anyone know if the BPE-14 "turbo alternator" by Basic Aircraft Products has ever been installed on a Mite as a wind driven electrical source? Here is a link:
http://www.basicaircraft.com/turbo-a...tor-bpe-14.asp

I would like to put a radio in and use my strobes and Nav Lights for safety and recognition. Don't have many options with a A75-8. Would love to do a Ted Teach alternator conversion, but requires tapered shaft crank, which I don't have. I hate the thought of losing some speed to a wind driven source, but I think this turbo alternator is one of my only options unless somebody else has come up with something better.
Joel
N4124